- A modern and transparent compressor and limiter
- Code-ported algorithms from the industry standard DS1-MK3
- Clean faceplate, with immensely detailed controls hidden in side-menu
Dynamics / Console 1 Ready
The name Weiss is synonymous with quality in mastering, and a truly exceptional compressor/limiter is essential to any serious mastering engineer. The Weiss DS1-MK3 is the gold-standard for the world’s greatest mastering gurus, and for the Weiss Compressor/Limiter, we draw on its essence (and code-base) to bring a totally focused modern answer to the question ‘how should I deal with dynamics on my mix bus?’
Available as a standalone plug-in, or as part of the Weiss DS1-MK3 collection (also including the class-leading Weiss Deess de-esser, and the fast and intelligent Weiss MM-1 Mastering Maximizer) the Weiss Compressor/Limiter aims squarely at the body of your sound, and offers the perfect set of features for this most crucial of tasks.
"After spending a little time getting used to the simplified interface, I started to see that the new Weiss Compressor/Limiter plugin not only sounds excellent & transparent like its big brother, but allows me to dial up the sounds I'm looking for even quicker!"Mastering Engineer for Imagine Dragons, Paul McCartney, Lana Del Ray
The Weiss Compressor/Limiter contains the same digital compression and limiting algorithms as our top-of-the-line Weiss DS1-MK3 plug-in, so you get the very same sound-quality.
The new hi-res visuals, including waveform view and FFT readouts, mean you can see your work, and the effect you're having, with greater clarity than ever before.
We put all the most vital controls at your fingertips in an all-new interface, but allow access to the epic detail of the Weiss processing in an 'expert' side-menu. Work faster and with fewer distractions.
This product supports
We love VU meters, Bakelite knobs, and analog quirks. But we want modern precision and workflow. The answer? Softube Extended Features. Easy-access panels with the innovations you need close at hand.
"The Weiss compressor and maximizer sounds absolutely stunning! I already used in a few projects, I just want to let you know that I'm very impressed."Grammy Nominated Mixing & Mastering Engineer, Music Producer & Educator
Weiss: The last word in mastering
Like our other Weiss plug-ins, the Compressor/Limiter is based on the gold-standard of mastering dynamics processors, the Weiss DS1-MK3.
Loved and needed in equal measure by top mastering engineers around the globe, the DS1 was first introduced in hardware in the early 1990s, and has continued to command pride of place in the best mastering facilities there are. Due to its enormous desirability the hardware will set you back around $10,000. So to distill its awesome-sounding essence in this suite of plug-ins for a fraction of the cost felt like a very Softube mission indeed.
Make or break
The mastering stage is the last chance to make or break a track, so getting it right can be the difference between a battle won or lost. That’s why the startling transparency and effectiveness of the Weiss digital compression algorithms, and its unrivalled versatility in terms of detailed control over attack and release times, knee settings, ratio, threshold, filters (low pass and band pass), and other crucial factors, are a must-have.
The Weiss Compressor/Limiter, for all its unassuming charm and apparent simplicity, is a beast, both in terms of sheer sound quality, and flexibility.
Little louder? Still good.
And being able to push a track to the appropriate degree of loudness without unpleasant artifacts from the limiter is rightfully expected of any modern mastering engineer. That’s when the quality of your tools really matters; the Weiss is the only product that allows you to achieve such a clean, sweet, and dynamic sound at high levels. And with two brand-new advanced limiter algorithms on top of the Weiss original (including the Type 2 true peak limiter), you have more top-of-the-line options with Weiss than ever before.
Great on individual tracks too
Of course, this being a plug-in, you can run as many instances of it as you like, so there’s nothing to stop you using its uniquely clear and precise character on individual instrument tracks. Take a bass guitar, for example, through the Compressor/Limiter with a low-pass filter applied, to compress only the lowest frequencies and fatten out the body of the instrument. Or use the Compressor/Limiter on a vocal in conjunction with the Deess, for perfectly tailored dynamics processing across the frequency range, and no compromise.
Whatever you do with it, the Compressor/Limiter’s unbeatable sound-quality makes it a joy to use, and ultimately leads to better-than-ever finished sounds, so buy it today.
Console 1 Ready
This plug-in can be used within Console 1, our mixing system. Click to learn more.
- A modern and transparent digital compressor and limiter, with code-ported algorithms from the industry standard DS1-MK3.
- Total control, without an over-complicated interface. The ‘expert’ tools are all in a hidden side-menu.
- Stunning and intuitive visualisations for detailed control, and an intuitive experience.
- Clean tweak-and-go faceplate, with immensely detailed controls hidden in side-menu.
- Ultra-professional tool, but without the daunting, complex look.
- Compress selectively, with low pass and band pass filters.
- Two brand-new advanced limiter algorithms in addition to the Weiss original.
- Available as a single plug-in, or as part of the Weiss DS1-MK3 collection.
All Softube products require a computer with appropriate DAW host software (none of which are included).
Versions from 2.5.18 and newer of the Softube plug-ins have the following minimum requirements:
All native versions
- Mac OS X 10.13 up to 11.6.1 - MacOS 12 Monterey support pending
- Windows 10 64-bit - Windows 11 support pending
- Mac: Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 / Xeon - M1 support pending
- Windows: Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 / Xeon / AMD Quad-Core or newer
- Screen resolution larger than 1280x800
- 8 GB RAM or more is recommended, as well as at least 8 GB hard disk space for installation (individual plug-ins take less space, while sample libraries may require additional disk space).
- Softube account
- iLok account
- Internet access for downloading installers and managing licenses
- iLok generation 2 and up, if you intend to use an iLok key for authorizing your plug-ins (note that a physical iLok USB key is not a requirement)
In theory, any 64-bit VST, VST3, AU, or AAX (Pro Tools 11.0.2 or higher) compatible host application should work. However, due to plug-in host differences between DAWs - and our own rigorous testing standards - we only officially test our plug-ins and instruments in the most recent versions of Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Cubase, Ableton Live, Studio One, Reaper, and Cakewalk. Softube plugins are not tested in non-listed systems, but they most likely work as long as the system requirements are met. We cannot guarantee a solution for issues in unsupported systems.
Note: We have checked the basic functionality of our plug-ins, and Softube Central, in macOS Monterey running under Apple Rosetta 2, and initial tests do look promising. Silicon M1 native support is pending.
Note: We have run initial tests of Softube Central and our plug-ins within Windows 11 with positive early results. Further testing and announcements will follow.
With regards to the different VST formats, we strongly recommend using VST3 as some of our plug-ins have features that are not present in the older VST format. Supported sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, and 192 kHz, in both mono and stereo. The most recent maintenance release of your DAW application is recommended. AAX DSP is not currently in active development. TDM/VENUE is no longer supported (old downloads are available on the Legacy Installers page)
Find the Softube installer you need both Softube Central and individual plug-ins.
AAX DSP version
- For AAX DSP you need to meet the above requirements for the Native versions. You also need to have an Avid HDX processing card. For plug-ins available for AAX DSP, see Which Softube plug-ins support AAX DSP?